CO₂ Vapour polishing, multi-stage filtration for the beverage industry.
- Soft drinks
- Beer and cider drinks
- Mineral water
- Sparkling wine
Carbon Dioxide (CO₂) is a by-product of many different processes. Each source type can have source-specific impurities.
These should be removed by the industrial gas supplier during the purification process, but small traces can remain. Carbon Dioxide vapour is the only industrial gas used as an ingredient by the beverage industry. It has many uses, but the most important one is for carbonating the beverage. Without CO₂, our beverages would not sparkle.
Beverage brand owners and manufacturers protect their products and processes by requiring multi-stage CO₂ vapour polishing filtration systems.
Without this protection the finished beverage is at risk of being contaminated. This contamination can result in off-flavours, smells and appearance.
The beverage industry and its CO₂ suppliers set quality guidelines which are strictly followed to ensure the beverage is 100% safe.
With its modular design and small footprint, Carboguard is easy to extend when needed. There is a model for each application.
- 12 months cartridge service life
- Unique Carbonyl Sulphide barrier included
- Performance guarantee
- 50% less cartridges used
- 10 year housing warranty
- Integrated pre and post filtration
- 4 times faster to service
- 400 – 4000 kg/hr flows covered with a single model, 8 models in the range and higher flows available.
Carbon Dioxide Purification
Improving Beverage Security and Quality via Protection of Carbonation CO₂.
Consistent high-quality CO₂ in carbonisation of beverages is important for product security of carbonated beverages.
Acting as vapour polishers, carbon dioxide purifiers are designed to purify gas to the beverage quality guidelines. The systems provide in-line quality protection against peak levels of trace contaminants that may occasionally be present in beverage grade carbon dioxide.
The unit’s capacity may be matched to the required process flowrate by adding or removing adsorption cartridges and columns. The protection unit is installed after the vaporiser and processes the CO₂ in its gaseous phase.
Insoluble matter suspended in the wine is removed before bottling. Clarification may include fining, filtration, centrifugation, flotation, refrigeration, pasteurization and/or barrel maturation and racking.
Passing wine through a filter medium that captures particles larger than the medium’s openings.
- Coarser depth filtration
- Fine filtration
- Surface filtration
- Cross-flow filtration
- Food & Beverage filttration that help to protect and extend the service life of microporous membrane final filters.
- Final membrane filters benefit from having a pre-filter installed upstream in the process.
- Pre-filters help protect the more expensive final filter, extending their service life and resulting in an overall reduction in the cost per volume filtered.
Whether for bottle washing, system flushing and sanitation or cooler blending, clean, particle free water is required to protect the integrity of the process system and optimise wine filter life.
- Regeneration and sanitation water
Filtering sanitising water prior to using it in the system is essential so that the system is not contaminated with particulate in the sanitising water between wine production runs.
- Washing and blending water
Particulate and biological control is required for water that is used for cooler blending or in bottle washing operations. The reduction of spoilage organisms from water protects the final product from infection and spoilage.
- Chlorine reduction filters
- Microbial reduction Filters
- Particle control filters
Final membrane filtration
- Microporous membrane filters that help control microorganisms in finished wine.
- Removes microorganisms that may lead to re-fermentation or production of “off”- flavours in the bottle.
Diatomaceous Earth (DE) trap filtration
- DE filters can release small amounts of unwanted DE fines into the wine during processing.
- Many wineries install the DE trap filter to catch any stray DE fines before they continue with the process.
- Air and gas filtration
- Filters that help control particulate and microorganisms in water used in the winery.
- Water filtration: Particulate and turbidity control.
- Filters that help to control particulate and microorganisms in water used in soft drink production.
- This treatment can involve carbon filters, sand filters, neutralisers, and particle control filter cartridges.
- Concentrate filtration.
Filter that helps reduce hazes in soft drink concentrates.
- Sweetener filtration
Filtration that help reduce particulate and improve colour in sweeteners.
- Final filters: particulate
Filters that help control particulate prior to bottling.
- Final filters: microorganisms
Air and gas filtration
- Air or other gases coming in contact with bottled water should be sterile filtered to help prevent secondary contamination.
- Particle filtration
- Sterile filtration
Taste and odour reduction
- Activated carbon filters help reduce objectionable taste and odour in bottled water.
Rapid hygiene monitoring
- This offers rapid and reliable solutions to monitor biological contamination on surfaces and in water.
- Effective environmental hygiene management helps reduce levels of contamination in finished products, leading to improved quality, fewer batch rejections and lower risk of product recall.
- We use sample-ready plates that replace conventional agar, petri-dishes, media pads and disposable filter tunnels used in the microbial testing of water.
- We offer four options to cover your unique testing needs:
- Heterotrophic count
- Coliform count
- Enterobacteriaceae count
- Yeast and mould count
- Filters that help reduce HPC and other microorganisms in bottled water.
- These filters offer superior microorganism control as well as high durability in common cleaning and sanitation protocols.
- Filters that help control particulate and reduce turbidity in water.
Water filtration/filter housings
- A wide range of filter housings to accommodate membrane filters, lenticular-style depth filters and utility filters.
- Designed to meet the standards of the Food and Beverage Industry with highly polished stainless steel surfaces, easy to drain and clean designs, and minimization of product hold-up.
- Water filtration
- Juice filtration and clarification
- Juice concentration
- Hermo-acidophilic bacteria (TAB) filtration
- Wastewater treatment and water reclamation
- Spent caustic and acid recovery
- Water treatment and filtration
- Whey defatting for WPC and WPI production
- Whey concentration before drying/powdering
- Casein concentration for cheese production
- Brine clarification and bacteria removal
- Milk concentration before drying/powdering
- Milk concentration for transport
- Wastewater treatment and water reclamation
- Sterile air and gas filtration
- Spent caustic and acid recovery
Food & Beverage Filtration are used in various critical steps in beer production including water processing, diatomaceous earth (DE) trap, clarification, control of particulates, sterile air and gas service, and microorganism control in non-pasteurised beer.
- Water processing
- Yeast culture removal through trap filtration
- Diatomaceous earth (DE) trap filtration
- Beer filtration and clarification
- Control of particulates
- Sterile air and gas service
- Microorganism control
- Sterile air filtration for unpasteurised beers
- Spent acid and caustic recovery
- Wastewater treatment and reclamation
- Turbidity and pathogen removal from ingredient water
- Demineralized water for brewing liquor or dilution water
- Steam boiler feed water
- Cooling tower make-up, blow down treatment
- High quality ultrafiltration
- Efficient removal of solids and organics from wastewater
Controlling particulate in edible oil processing
- Filter bags, and filter bag replacement systems to help control particulate during processing and at final load-out.
- Certain process steps in the production of edible oils, such as bleaching, hydrogenation, and deodorization, can create unwanted particulate.
- If not removed from the oil, this particulate matter can diminish the quality of the oil. 3M Purification developed the DF series of filters to retrofit conventional filter bag housings.
- The unique design of the DF-series filter provides 62% more surface area compared to a conventional filter bag. This leads to increased service life, and fewer filter change-outs.
- Our food & beverage filtration can provide clarity and microbiological stability for water used in rinsing and washing applications.
- Our Cryptofil™ filter is a fully validated filter for the removal of Cryptosporidium cysts from water.
- Our pre-filters can be used to protect and extend the life of the final membrane filters.
- Our filters ensure the removal of spoilage organisms from CO₂, N2 and air, and can also be used for sterile venting and blanket transfer.
- Our filters can provide the assurance of quality during transfer from tank to tank, or tank to process.
Bottle rinsing filtration
- The removal of spoilage organisms such as yeast and bacteria from glass and PET bottles is assured with the use of our integrity testable membrane filter.
- Can be safely used for sterilization of process equipment and both direct and indirect thermal processing of food.